Monthly Archives: August 2011
Since this is really all I’ve been playing for the past few weeks (damn you game draught!). Thought I’d do a post about it. This will be my favorite Final Fantasy XIII renditions of the classic Final Fantasy monsters. I’ll just do a couple of them to not waste your time and there might be a few missing since I still have 2 more chapters to go (in the long grinding part right now).
What used to be a giant turtle that has a huge amount of HP is now a giant dinosaur thing with mammoth tusks that sort of looks like those giant beasts that the orcs rode in Lord of the Rings. It’s also cool that these things just tower over you in the overworld making them seem fearful to battle.
Behemoths have always been ‘oh shit’ monsters to run into. They still hold that reputation in 13, but they’re more common to run into, so a little less ‘oh shit’. What’s cool about these dudes are they can transform to a bi-pedal form and then gain pants out of nowhere.
Anima is one of the fal’cie god thingers in this 13, thus making it huge, mechanical looking, and intricate. If I remember he’s one of the first bosses you face. And they did a really good job with the bosses in terms of how they look.
Another classic summon is Bahamut. What’s cool about summons in Final Fantasy 13 is that they come in 2 forms – a warrior looking one and an animal/vehicle looking one. They keep to the classic Bahamut by making his animal form a dragon of course.
Odin another recurring FF character usually appears as a summon and it follows through in 13 as he is the main character Lightning’s summon. He’s usually depicted as a knight riding a horse. This is done as his warrior form in the knight and the animal mode the horse with Lightning riding on the back.
We finally end with another classic summon Shiva, who probably has the most unique appearance in 13. She is Snow’s summon and takes the form of 2 sisters, one named Stiria and the other named Nix. Both have the typical blue female look down, but what’s weird is their vehicle mode is a motorcycle made form fusing the two of them together, THAT’S RIGHT TWO BLUE GIRLS JOIN TOGETHER TO MAKE A MOTORCYCLE.
That about wraps up the post, gonna keep going at Final Fantasy until I finish the damn thing. Expecting a The Drop post and a long awaited Crush Girl post sometime this week.
OK gotta apologize about being so lame about the posts, just being caught up with stuff, stuff being try to finish Final Fantasy 13 once and for all. But below is a cool upcoming crossover between Super Mario Bros. and the game Portal. It’s actually in development by some fans and should be available soon, check it out…
There was a time when the MTV Video Music Awards actually was worth watching. That time has long gone, but for some reason I decided to watch it on Sunday. Sure things are flashier than they used to be, the logo is really cool design, the stage was one of the most functional and unique I’ve seen, and the Nokia Theater is one of the hippest and nicest venues they been at. But now to the rants, first who should’ve won in the major categories…
Best Hip-Hop Video
Should’ve been Lil Wayne’s 6 Foot 7 Foot (feat. Cory Gunz)
Not that its my favorite Lil Wayne song and most of these nominees made my cringe, but Lil Wayne is MTV’s “greatest rapper currently” and he made a pretty interesting music video, that’s mostly a spoof of the film Inception, but shows every lyric of the song in some unique way. While Nicki’s video is her insane “barbie universe” and mostly just shots of her enormous ass (admit it, that’s what 50% of the video is).
Best Pop Video
Should’ve gone to (I’m not sure but not Britney Spears, more below), I’ll just pick Adele’s Rolling in the Deep
3 of the songs in this category were miscategorized Adele and Bruno Mars are R&B, and Pitbull’s Give Me Everything is more hip hop. Anything new by Britney makes my ears bleed with how autotuned it is. Adele is the best singer in the bunch and the video is visually interesting if you are paying attention. At close second I guess I could’ve chosen Katy Perry’s Last Friday Night, it got a chuckle out ot me.
Best Male Video
Should’ve gone to Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna)
After seeing the nominees, I knew Em didn’t stand a chance, because MTV will do anything to promote Justin Bieber and get him screen time. Such a shame though since this was Eminem’s year with releasing Recovery and Hell: The Sequel as Bad Meets Evil. The song was one of Eminem and Rihanna’s best and it was meaningful too. But once again got to mention the Bieber effect.
Video of the Year
Should’ve gone to Adele’s Rolling in the Deep
I know Katy you were trying to make a great video with a message. And it was a strong message and the locale picked for the video is perfect, but coming out off the song California Gurls and then having fireworks fly off from your boobs (OK I guess its your chest but close enough) ruins it a little. Adele is a great singer and wrote a great song here, but it comes down to her not fitting the “MTV mold” and she’s British so not really marketable here. But then again that’s why we have the Grammy’s to recognize musicians.
Thoughts on the show…
- I’m amazed Lady Gaga went through the entire show acting in her dude character (not sure if I should be impressed or creeped out)
- The tribue to Britney had a bunch of little kids dressed in Britney’s old outfits, it was pedobear’s favorite moment
- Also about that, Britney Spears won the Video Vanguard Award, the last one was given to the great video director Hype Williams, and others were The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, and other music greats; and now Britney is associated with them, music died a little that day
- Apparently people flipped shit when Beyoncé announced her pregnancy during her performance, I thought it was cool for like 3 seconds (maybe its a chick thing I dunno)
- Young the Giant performing was cool, though I bet there was a bunch of who the fuck are those guys thoughts, but the way they performed it seemed really genuine and what music should be about
- Can’t believe Best Rock 2011 is the Foo Fighters only 2nd win
- Did Jessie J have a broken foot or something?
- Kevin Hart seemed really nervous in his opening monologue and his jokes fell flat, and the VMAs really don’t transistion well without a host (they should just have one to keep the show going smoothly, instead of cutting to Jessie J when they want to break)
- Russell Brand is a terrible person to have honor Amy Winehouse, they made up with the performance by Bruno Mars (one of his better performances actually)
- Thank You Odd Future and Lady Gaga for keeping MTV censors honest
- Cloris Leachman really didn’t want to be on-stage with the Jersey Shore girls, but who would (Deena is f’ing scary looking)
- Finally, I swear the only thing keeping Lil Wayne’s pants on him is magic, he wears them at the knees
My rant/report on what happened at this year’s VMAs will come tomorrow, today is just a quickie with the teaser preview from the upcoming movie The Hunger Games.
in case the youtube video goes down, see it at MTV (HERE)
To promote the upcoming film The Muppets, Disney released a cover album called Muppets: The Green Album that features many alternative rock/indie rock groups covering old songs that were played on the Muppets Show. OK Go was selected to play the opening title song which is also song 1 on the album. They added their own flair to the song as well to the music video, so check it out.